From May 20 to June 19, 2011 CLI proudly hosted a month-long, faculty-led academic study tour, organized on behalf of Virginia Tech and Norfolk State University and funded by the U.S. Federal Government’s Intelligence Community. The core of the program focused primarily on intensive Mandarin language training, held at CLI’s Guilin learning center, while a one-week travel component to Beijing and Shanghai provided students with firsthand insight into the intimate workings of China’s bustling political and financial capitals.
Major highlights of the trip included:
– Calligraphy Lessons & Mountain Climbing at GXNU’s Downtown Campus
– Visit to Guilin Fabric Market & Suit Fitting at Local Tailor
– Li River Boat Ride & Afternoon Bike Tour of Yangshuo’s Countryside
– Shanghai’s Famous Acrobat Show
– Night Tour of the Bund & Ascent of the Shanghai World Financial Center
– Visit to Shanghai’s Propaganda Poster Art Center
– Morning Hike through the Longji Rice Terraces
– Free Beer Tasting at Guilin’s Liquan Beer Factory
– Beijing Hutong Tour and Lunch at a Local Family’s Home
– Visit to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City
– Climb up the Great Wall of China!
At CLI, we truly feel that our highest goals have been achieved when our students both excel in their Mandarin language studies and display growing enthusiasm for Chinese culture. We remain tremendously impressed with the cultural adaptability and academic diligence of our Virginia Tech and NSU students, and wish them all the best of luck for the future.
Here are some of our favorite photos from the study tour:
Please feel free to browse CLI’s comprehensive overview of the Virginia Tech and NSU summer study tour. CLI is currently in the midst of hosting a second Intelligence Community-funded academic study tour, this time in conjunction with Howard University. Be sure to check back soon for additional updates!